Thursday 10 December 2009

Day number 12 - I can't believe there's only 10 days left

Hi everyone - this is Justine

I can't believe we are past half way on our Study Tour in Malaysia having completed 12 days of our 22 day stay, and what an adventure we are having. Today I worked in Temptations restaurant, and for someone who has absolutely no experience at all in hospitality, I have learnt a few things. How to fold serviettes/napkins - I have never paid much attention to this detail previously but I am now intrigued by the different styles; setting up for breakfast/lunch; learning the art of serving customers; presenting cakes in the display cabinet; and presenting the restaurant and myself professionally paying attention to fine detail. The staff at the Renaissance Hotel are lovely and so helpful. I feel I can ask almost any question to the staff, and they are so willing to assistant and answer questions all the time - a huge thank you to the staff of Renaissance Hotel.

When working in Temptations Restaurant, we start at 7:30am local time instead of 9:00am for other departments. I must admit that have adjusted to the time difference very quickly, and was complaining about getting up at 6:00am (yes I am a sook) and then I realised it was 8:00am in Australia - how we will all cope when we get home!

Personally, I am enjoying my stay in Malaysia. The people are beautiful and welcoming, the city is intriguing, and the weather is humid but you get air-con everywhere. I am so grateful for this opportunity, and I am attempting to make the most of it, even though I do miss home very much. I am the only married woman with children (3) on this study tour - and home is where my heart is. And even though I miss my family so very much, I will continue to enjoy my stay in Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps I should plan on bringing my family back here one day.

So my work day is done, now it's time to think about what to have for dinner...

Blessings to you all
Justine

PS - Just wanted to share with you my favourite photo from the hundreds I have taken. This one was taken at Putra Jaya from the balcony of a Chinese Restaurant which we took a small boat ride to get to. It was peaceful and beautiful, and we were blessed with a beautiful sunset.